Sunday, April 3, 2011

Tantrums


No, this picture is not one of my foster sons, but I know this face well. We've had a lot of tantrums in our home lately. Particularly from our 2yr old. I can't help wondering, how did the stripling warrior's mothers handle them when they were 2? I'm sure there is a right way to handle the weeping/wailing/gnashing of teeth that erupt from our little one, when something doesn't go exactly the way he would like.

I was particularly grateful for the LDS conference talk today, by Elder Lynn G. Robbins in the afternoon session of conference. Parenting is not easy, and it's nice to have a little extra instructions on how to be a good parent. I confess that I frequently get discouraged. I know that this phase will pass, and it will be something I look back on and laugh, but it is definitely a test of patience now. Has anyone out there found the key to handling tantrums? Any advice would be welcomed.

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

I don't know that I have any answers, but Jon told me what worked with one of his patients... the little boy would throw these violent fits. Jon just started walking out of the room, without saying a word. When there wasn't anyone to hear or see the tantrum, the little boy would stop.

Every kid is different and it's not exactly easy to walk away at the grocery store, or even at home because they can follow you. But disengaging and ignoring the behavior might be worth a try.

Good luck! I enjoyed that talk, too.

epugs said...

No idea how to handle tantrums, but I also loved the advice given in that talk! Valid question about the mothers of the stripling warriors, too! I'm sure you are handling these tantrums really well. When you figure out the secret to getting them to stop, let me know.