Thursday, September 3, 2009

Adoption 1 or 2?


Clint and I have been working with Social Services for the past couple months trying to adopt. There has been a 3 year old girl that we have been particularly interested in. It has gone back and forth, over and over again, whether or not we can adopt her. I can't really get into details, but they want to place her with her siblings and to go to extended family members if possible, however, now they are considering us again.

She has a 5 year old brother, who we have met and he's adorable, and Social Services are now asking if we would be willing to adopt them both to keep them together. Since we've never been parents we are nervous about adopting two at once. On the other hand they could be good playmates for each other. I would love to have input from ya'll out there! Especially those of you with kids :) Is it easier with two?

6 comments:

The Royal Family said...

good question. I don't have two... but we will keep you guys in our prayers. I am sure you will make the right decision and things happen for a reason so just take it one day at a time. Goodluck!!!

XOXOXO

Joe and Savanna said...

Good luck Heidi! I hope that you can make a decision soon. It's got to be hard. I have no idea how it would be to automatically have two kids, but I know whatever happens you're going to be a great mom!

elshmobelsh said...

just follow your heart. what do YOU want? raising a child is a long commitment, so don't let guilt or pity be the driving force. there is no doubt that suddenly having two kids would be quite a family culture shock, but with the Lord's help you can do anything. there you go- some big sis advice. :)

Charlotte said...

Neither of my kids are even 3 yet, so I'm not sure about 3 and 5 together. But those are pretty independent ages, so the physical demand on you, as a mother, would be totally doable. The emotional demand? You're the only one who can decide that. Go with your heart and trust the Lord. Whatever you decide, I hope you know I think the world of you, Heidi.

epugs said...

I concur with everyone. You guys are gonna make awesome parents when the time is right and my hopes are that you find a peaceful clear answer soon. Like the other comment said, don't let guilt or pity influence you. If you need anything let me know!

Niki McDowell said...

Definitely pray about it. But I say 2 is nicer because they have a playmate. It's hard when they are babies, but you'll have skipped that. Looks like the age difference is about the same as my boys and I think its great. They are polar opposite but are best friends. I think its nice when siblings are closer in age. If you think about it if you just got the girl and you adopt again later what is the age difference. At least this way she'll have a sibling close in age. But again, you really need to go with what your heart tells you. You'll be a great mom no matter what!