Friday, January 21, 2011

Be Still, My Soul

With all the craziness of life, I've had a lot of inner turmoil lately. FC1 is leaving us this week and we're not sure if the adoption is going to go through. I have definitely experienced a whirlwind of emotions. Be Still My Soul is one of my favorite hymns. Lately it's been in my head nearly 24/7. I'm so grateful to know, that though I don't know all the reasons now, I will some day, and that no matter what happens I can have joy in my life.

Be Still, My Soul

Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev’ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav’nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: The hour is hast’ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

Text: Katharina von Schlegel, b. 1697; trans. by Jane Borthwick, 1813–1897

Music: Jean Sibelius, 1865–1957. © 1900 Breitkopf & Härtel. Arr. copyright, 1933, by the Presbyterian Board of Christian Education; renewed, 1961; from The Hymnal.

4 comments:

Mrs. S said...

It will all be ok somehow. Love you!

Stewart and Becky said...

Sorry to hear that things are not going as planned. I too love that song, so keep singing it and one day you will wake up to find things working themselves out in your favor. Until then Hugs!

Julie Porter said...

Our prayers are with you Heidi. Call me if you need to talk or I can do anything for you.

Beautiful Bagshaw Babes Version 4.5 said...

Oh Heidi! I love you so much. Your cute little family is in our prayers!